Given that the Navamsa chart (D-9) illustrates the dharma and karmic landscape of the native spanning life times, the Atmakaraka’s house position therein is very important to study the spirituality of the native. First take the house placement of the Atmakaraka in the Navamsa chart. Then, count the number of signs from its position to the Navamsa Lagna. Then, count the number of signs from its position to the Navamsa Lagna. The house arrived at gives the results of the Atmakaraka’s house position. Additionally, the strength of the natural karaka of that house should be noted both in Navamsa as well as Rasi charts. The Rasi chart gives more suitable results for great personalities such as Sri Krsna or Sri Caitanya, while the Navamsa is suitable for all others.
Result of the Atmakaraka in the Astrological houses:
1. Nobility and birth in a royal family result if the Atmakaraka is in the Navamsa Lagna or 1st house. High attainments and position likened to those of a king result if the lord of the Navamsa Lagna conjoins the AK even if the native is born in humble conditions. If, on the other hand, the AK aspects the Navamsa Lagna, then the native enjoys royalty from birth. The strength of Raja-yogas also depends on the strength, position and associations of the Sun, who is the karaka of the first house.
2. If the Atmakaraka is in 2nd house (lagna in the 12th from AK), then the native is a renunciate and possibly even a saint (if other criteria additionally apply in the horoscope). Saturn is the karaka of the 12th house, and thus indicates the path of either a sannyasi (a formal renunciate) or someone who gives charity for humanitarian purposes. If Venus is strong, and especially if Ketu and Saturn join or mutually aspect Venus, then the native performs tapasya or yogic austerities.
3. If the Atmakaraka is in 3rd house (lagna in the 11th from AK), then the native may have many high social contacts, be popular and influential, wealthy and successful in many undertakings. He has friends among powerful and successful persons.
4. If the Atmakaraka is in 4th house (lagna in the 10th from AK), then the native’s work is an essential contributor to the successful performance of Dharma. The strength of various karakas of 10th house indicates the avenues through which karma is performed. If Mercury and Jupiter are strong, then he is benevolent, well-linked and moves in a variety of circles. If the Sun is strong, then the native enjoys the effects of raja-yoga. If Saturn is strong, then he purges the results of past sins by hard work and sacrifice.
5. The 5th house position of Atmakaraka (lagna in the 9th from AK) indicates a very truthful person who follows the dictates of dharma very seriously. The results of much punya bring opportunities to perform sadhana (spiritual practice), to meet and learn from advanced spiritualists and to serve the cause of promoting Truth in the world.
6. If the Atmakaraka is in 6th house (lagna in the 8th from AK), then the native confronts many challenges which result from stigmatic karmas from past lives. The native with such a placement of the AK is recommended to propitiate Saturn. More importantly, they should perform the Satya Narayana Vrata regularly or as often as possible. Recitation of the Maha-mantra is ultimately beneficial for anyone in current era, kali-yuga.
7. The position of the Atmakaraka in 7th house (lagna in 7th from AK) is highly auspicious and blesses the native with a good spouse and the enjoyments of many beneficial associations. The native is pure in heart, well-intentioned and compassionate to all.
8. If the Atmakaraka is in the 8th house (lagna in the 6th from AK), then the results are similar to those for the 6th house. The native may confront vexing problems which are hard to solve. Physical ailments, challenging longevity, in addition to emotional and domestic discontinuity may be problematic for such natives. Recitation of the Maha-mantra and the Vishnu-sahasra-nama stotram, as well as performance of the Satya Narayana Vrata is ultimately beneficial. The native should also try to practice truthfulness and straightforwardness in all dealings.
9. The 9th house position of the Atmakaraka (lagna in 5th from AK) is perhaps the most auspicious and brings in full results of bhagya (fortune) to the native. A powerful Sun brings raja-yoga and enables the native to be very influential in educational and spiritual circles. If Jupiter is powerful, then the native becomes a guru in his own right, after receiving the blessings of self-realized souls or those advanced in higher knowledge. Materially speaking, such a native has no concerns in this world.
10. If the Atmakaraka is in 10th house (lagna in the 4th from AK), then happiness through family, home and mother are well-earned. Blessings through assets and property accrue, as well as respect and love through close allies and associates. The degree to which such results manifest depends on the strength, placement and association of the Moon in the Navamsa chart.
11. Courage and capability is the execution of any task result when the Atmakaraka is in the 11th house of the chart (lagna in the 3rd from AK). The native is intelligent and possesses firmness of mind and unwavering determination in the performance of duties. He has the ability to solve the problems quickly and to act decisively in crisis situations. If Mars is strong, then the native receives the results of raja-yoga akin to that of Ruchaka Maha- Purusa-yoga. The native is respected or admired by others due to valor and fearlessness in any confrontational situation.
12. If the Atmakaraka is in the 12th house (lagna in the 2nd from AK), then the native easily attains wealth as the result of the blessings of Lakshmi-devi, the consort of Vishnu. If simultaneously Mercury, Jupiter and Venus are in strength, then the native may achieve knowledge due to the blessings of the goddess Sarasvati. If the lord of the 2nd house joins that of the 5th and/or 9th, then the native enjoys the results of Dhana-yoga (wealth).