In Vedic Astrology there are principles and yogas that indicate Criminal behaviour in charts of natives.
The following principles reveal a number of potential indications for the characteristic aggression and impulsivity underlying anti‐social criminal behavior:
1. The 4th house indicates one’s psychological and philosophical make‐up. Rahu in the 4th house, if aspected by Mars in the Lagna and Saturn in the 7th house indicates a vengeful nature.
2. The Upagraha Gulika in the 3rd house points to impulsive thoughts and behavior.
3. Lagna lord weak and afflicted.
4. A combination of the Sun and Mars in any Rasi reveals a murderer.
5. Sarpa Yoga is formed by all malefics in three Kendras and no benefics in the Kendras. The native with Sarpa Yoga becomes a murderer.
6. When the Sun and Mars occupy the Lagna, one becomes a murderer.
7. With Gulika is in the 9th house, one will be a murderer of his parents and preceptors.
8. If born in Atiganda Yoga, the native will be murderer.
9. If born in the Dwadashamsha of Scorpio, the native will be a murderer and a master of rogues and robbers.
10. If Jupiter is debilitated and aspected by a debilitated planet, the native will commit crimes.
11. Debilitated Jupiter or the Sun in a Kendra conjoined a malefic.
12. When a malefic planet is in a Kendra without benefic aspect, and Jupiter is in the 8th house, the native will be a slaughterer of animals.
13. Jupiter in the Lagna and Mars is in the 7th house, or vice versa, signifies an aggressive and impulsive individual.
14. Saturn occupying the Lagna and Mars is in the 5th, 7th or 9th house.
15. If the 3 rd lord is debilitated in the 6th house and aspected by a malefic planet, the native will become aggressive and impulsive after drinking or taking drugs.
16. The native becomes impulsive and aggressive upon being punished by a government official if the 2nd lord conjoins the Sun and Saturn.
17. The 2nd lord conjoined Mars and Saturn.
18. If the Sun and Moon occupy a trikona or the Lagna, Jupiter is in a Kendra, and the Kala Hora at birth is Saturn or Mars.
19. The Sun and Moon in the Lagna conjoined with Mercury.
There are many combinations for murderers and criminals. Jaimini Maharsi gives some dictums:
1. Guru Candala Yoga: The association of Jupiter with Rahu causes death of human beings while that of Jupiter and Saturn show that the native and his enemy shall both die (or stand to lose).
2. Sakti Yoga: Rahu and Moon influencing the ninth house (dharma which is Marana Karaka Sthana for Rahu) causes Sakti Yoga which can be very destructive. The moot point is that the ninth house is the world view and shows how we look at the world. Rahu influencing the ninth house shows a very negative world view. Such a view becomes very diabolical if the Moon conjoins Rahu in which case the native shall have a strong grouse against society (Moon) in general or a community in particular. Other planets joining the Sakti Yoga of Rahu and Moon show the ultimate action that the native takes. For example, if Jupiter conjoins then guru-candala yoga functions and mass death occurs.
3. Pisacha Badhaka: Mars and Ketu combination is called Pisacha Badhaka as it brings the evil of Scorpio effects. Dasha of the dispositor of this yoga can be very lethal for the native. Mars and Ketu in the 2nd or 6th house show that the native may murder spouse whereas these together in 8th or 12th house shows that the spouse murders the native.
As such planets in Scorpio Navamsa show cruelty and often people perpetuate those crimes they have themselves suffered from. For example, Venus in Scorpio Navamsa can show cruelty from spouse or a lady and how the person reacts to this is seen from other planets influencing Venus in Scorpio Navamsa. Jupiter is the exception in Scorpio. This extends to planets in Capricorn Navamsa but is comparatively of lesser intensity.
Planets in Aquarius Navamsa can be very diabolical excepting Jupiter which shows the blessings of Lord Shiva (associated with Kumbha mela festival) in removing the poison. Aries Navamsa can be equally bad but not poisonous nor diabolical.
Various unmada yogas (literally translated as madness) are really not schizophrenia cases but cause the mind to behave in a reckless fashion and take to crime and can show serious mental aberrations and a criminal bent of mind. Of these the ones with Tamas planets (Mars, Saturn and Rahu) involvement show criminals. The best source for these yogas is Jataka Tattva authored by Mahadeva Pathak. Some of the unmada yogas causing mental aberration that can cause criminal behavior are listed below:
• Jupiter in Lagna and Mars in the 7th house provided Jupiter is not in exaltation or own sign; in such a case the native shall be under financial pressures and may have to suffer due to self imposed exiles or the native may be very eccentric. When Jupiter is in own sign or exaltation, he shall emerge victorious and shall have dhana yoga.
• Saturn in Lagna with Mars in seventh house cause severe hatred; Mars in a dusthana instead of the 7th can cause chronic disease of the mind due to imbalance of fire and wind.
• Saturn in Lagna, Sun in 12th house and either Moon or Mars in a trine can cause serious mental affliction as the lagna is damaged by Saturn in marana karaka sthana and the significator of lagna (Sun) is also damaged by being in Marana Sthana; the Moon in trines shall cause deep melancholia while Mars so placed will cause terrible anger and hatred.
• Lord of the 3rd house debilitated, eclipsed or in the 6th house (or associated with the 6th lord) and aspected by malefic planets can cause mental aberrations due to consumption of poisonous substances. The nature of the sign occupied by the 3rd lord shall show how this poison/ narcotic are consumed. The mind can be severely afflicted due to these narcotics leading the native into crime.
• Moon and Saturn in the 12th house can cause eccentricity and if the Moon is very weak, this can lead to madness. Consumption of narcotics or alcohol in uncontrolled amounts can also be the cause of some madness.
• Saturn and the lord of the 2nd house afflicted by malefic planets shows eccentricity caused by vata (air element) and can indicate consumption of poisonous substances through smoke etc. If in the above combination, the planet afflicting the second lord is Sun then the mental aberration shall increase due to punishment or troubles from government or king. If instead the planet is Mars then agitation of the fire element (pitta dosha) shall cause mental aberration.
• If Saturn and Mars are in association in the 8H of the horoscope, the native will be a big criminal in his life time. The native may commit robberies, dacoities and even murders.
In addition to the above, certain more general indications should be noted:
• It is commonly understood that the Lagna of the birth chart signifies the native. However, because the Lagna encompasses 30 degrees of the Rasi chart, certain Jyotish classics like Saravali have specified a more precise significator to be the Drekkana (Drekkana) of the Lagna. Other classics have specified the Navamsa of the Lagna to be a more well‐defined significator of the self. Therefore, the D‐3 and D‐9 Varga charts are important.
• In addition to the Lagna, the 3rd, 11th and 10th houses are also indicators of self.
• The Sun, significator of self, and the Moon, all‐important ruler of the mind and its impulses, are treated as secondary Lagna in Vedic astrology (Surya Lagna and Chandra Lagna). For example, an afflicted Moon may indicate mental aberration and a lack of self‐control ‐ as when the Moon is influenced by Mars, reckless and aggressive behavior may be indicated.
• Mercury is another planet, which controls our nervous system. Though Mercury is not read as a secondary Lagna in Indian astrology, its affliction weakens the nervous system and reflects the potential for aggressive, vengeful and impulsive traits.
• One should also note the malefic argala, i.e., the presence of a malefic planet in the 2nd, 4th or 11th house from the Lagna or Moon.
• For microanalysis, one should also examine the D‐12 (Dwadashamsha) and the Cyclic Trimsamsa (Parivritti D‐30).
In practice anti‐social criminal traits are indicated when malefic planets, without the influence of benefic planets, influence the following:
1. The Lagna and/or Lagna lord (Lagnesha).
2. Any of the Kendras—the 1st, 4th, 7th or 10th house.
3. The Moon or its dispositor.
4. The Navamsesh (the Lagna in the D‐9 chart).
The following case studies illustrate a number of combinations for aggression and impulsivity. From these examples, it is apparent that anti‐social criminal behavior is more likely to occur when an assortment of these astrological dynamics converge in the natal horoscope.
Sarah María Aldrete Villareal (born September 6, 1964 in Matamoros, Tamaulipas, Mexico) is a Mexican serial killer known as “La Madrina”.
Adolfo Constanzo, a Cuban American fortune-teller and religious cult leader, introduced her to witchcraft and dark magic. He gave her the nickname “La Madrina”, Spanish for “godmother”, and initiated her into his cult, which was a conglomeration of Santería, Aztec warrior ritual, and Palo Mayombe, complete with blood sacrifices. Costanzo sexually assaulted and killed drug dealers and used their body parts for religious sacrifice ceremonies in an old warehouse near Matamoros. Many of his victims’ body parts were cooked in a large pot called a nganga. Costanzo made Sara Aldrete second-in-command of his cult, and directed her to supervise his followers while he was out shipping marijuana over the border into the US.
In 1989 the killings grew more frequent and gained attention when affluent American tourist Mark J. Kilroy, a University of Texas student on Spring Break, was abducted. Costanzo, Aldrete and the rest of the cult went on the run when detectives discovered their ‘shrine’. They found human hair, brains, teeth and skulls at the site of the murders. Eventually, the police found their hideout in Mexico city on May 6, 1989. After a shootout, Costanzo and one of his accomplices were shot and killed by another member of the cult, apparently at Constanzo’s behest. Aldrete was convicted of criminal association in 1990 and jailed for six years. In a second trial, she was convicted of several of the killings at the cult’s headquarters, and sentenced to 30 years in prison. If Aldrete is ever released from prison, American authorities plan to prosecute her for the murder of Mark Kilroy.
Following are the indicators of her criminal behaviour in the natal chart:
1. Saturn as 2nd lord aspected by Sun and Mars.
2. Sun, Moon and Mercury conjoined together in 9th house and aspected by Saturn.
3. 5th lord in 8th house with Venus and aspected by Rahu which is 3rd lord too indicating occult and sexual desire behind the serial kills. Mars is Vargottama too being debilitated increasing negative effects many folds.
Patrice Alègre is a French serial-killer, born June 20, 1968 in Toulouse.
Following are the indicators of his criminal behaviour in the natal chart:
1. Birth in Atiganda yoga.
2. Sun and Mars together in Lagna
3. Sarpa dosha as three malefics in three different Kendra.
4. 5th Lord Venus highly afflicted conjoined with Mars and Sun and aspected by Saturn.
Case Study 3: Francisco Assis
Francisco de Assis Pereira, born November 29, 1967 in São Paulo, is a Brazilian rapist and serial killer. His Nickname is “O Maníaco do Parque” (The Park Maniac). Arrested for the torture, rape and death of 11 women and for assaulting nine in a park in São Paulo, Brazil during the 1990s.
Following are the indicators of criminal behaviour in his chart:
1. Sarpa yoga as more than three malefics in Kendra.
2. Mercury the significator of nervous system is in MKS and highly afflicted.
3. 12th lord in 5th house being aspected by Rahu and Mars.
Marie Besnard was an accused serial poisoner in the early 20th century. Following are the indicators of criminal behaviour in her chart:
1. Sarpa yoga with malefics in Kendra.
2. Lagna lord quite afflicted being conjoined with Sun, Ketu & aspected by Mars & Rahu.
3. Mercury the 5th lord and significator of nervous system is badly afflicted and weak.
Case Study 5: Bob Bardella
Robert Andrew “Bob” Berdella was an American serial killer in Kansas City, Missouri who raped, tortured and killed at least six men between 1984 and 1987.
Following are the indicators of his criminal actions in his chart:
1. Sun and Mars combination in 12th house.
2. Mercury the 5th lord and significator of nervous system is conjoined with Sun and Mars.
Case Study 6: Gaetano Badalamenti
Gaetano Badalamenti was a powerful member of the Sicilian Mafia. Don Tano Badalamenti was the capomafia of his hometown Cinisi, Sicily, and headed the Sicilian Mafia Commission in the 1970s. In 1987 he was sentenced in the United States to 45 years in federal prison for being one of the leaders of the so-called Pizza Connection, a US$ 1.65 billion drug-trafficking ring that used pizzerias as fronts to distribute heroin from 1975 to 1984.
Following are the indicators of his criminal actions in his chart:
1. Sun and Mars in 12th house.
2. Saturn in Lagna and Mars in dusthana
3. Scorpio Lagna in Dwadashamsa.
4. 2nd lord in conjunction with Sun, Mars and Rahu whereas Saturn afflicted by Rahu and is in MKS.
5. Mercury the significator of nervous system is conjoined with Saturn and aspected by Rahu.